Thursday, March 20, 2008

Taking a Break From Baseball

I'm pretty much a one-sport guy. I'll watch the Super Bowl every year, and a Warriors game every now and then, but I've never been able to develop the passion for any other sport that I have for baseball and the Giants. But I'll admit it. Over the last few years, I've become a huge sucker for March Madness. I don't follow college basketball that closely, probably because I go to a school with little pride in its athletics, but come this time of year, I can't wait to fill out my bracket. In the weeks before the start of the baseball season, it's the best way to get a sports fix. I think other sports would benefit from adopting a similar tournament style. Seriously, does the NBA really need four rounds of best-of-seven series? The Giants fell to 6-17 in Cactus League play today, and I'd rather zone out until the season starts. As far as my pick to win it all, I'm taking UCLA.


It has been difficult to be a Giants fan these last several years - losing records, injuries, and bad contracts. We may be critical - but we stand by our team through good times and bad. The Giants remain one of the most storied franchises in the history of baseball and have a crop of new stars ready to add new pages to the Giants history books. Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez, Wilson and Sandoval are giving us reasons to be excited. Times may not always be stellar, but the Giants always give us something to talk about.